Mar 25, 2016 – Michal Kwiatkowski claimed his first Team Sky triumph in fine style at E3 Harelbeke, with Ian Stannard also joining him on the podium.
Kwiatkowski jumped from an elite group with Peter Sagan in the last 31km and the duo worked brilliantly together to hold off a group of 13 riders on an undulating run to the finish.
As they swept past the 300m to go banner, Kwiatkowski then left the world champion for dead as he powered to Team Sky’s second consecutive victory in this famous Flemish race.
And to cap off a memorable day which also saw Wout Poels win in Catalunya, Stannard then raced home in third position, 10 seconds later.
Immediately after the race Kwiatkowski said: “I was really motivated today and I did my best. I was perfectly protected by my team-mates, Ian Stannard was always there for me and then me and Peter worked together well.
“We were in a similar position at Strade Bianche two years ago and that brought back memories for me. I knew I had really good legs today and I had to go for the win, there was no other option.
“Me and Peter did a really good race. I knew I had to go with a long sprint because his kick is bigger than mine, and that worked out. I didn’t look back and went full gas to the finish.”
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 4:49:34
2. Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:04
3. Ian Stannard (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:11
4. Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek-Segafredo
5. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
6. Lars Boom (Ned) Astana Pro Team
7. Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
8. Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
9. Jean-Pierre Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team
10. Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team