German rider Marcel Kittel of the Skil-Shimano continued to dominate the Tour of Poland by winning Tuesday’s third stage from Bedzin to Katowice. Kittel won in a sprint finish from French rider Romain Feillu, of Vacansoleil, at the end of the 135.7km ride to make it a hat-trick after his wins in stages one and two. Meanwhile, Italian 2008 road race world champion Alessandro Ballan, who won the Tour of Poland in 2009, withdrew from the event after injuring a knee in a fall on Monday’s second stage.
It was a bad day all round for Ballan as it had been announced earlier that he had been called before the Italian Olympic Committee’s (CONI) anti-doping prosecutor accused of having consumed doping products. The charges relate to an investigation conducted in Mantova in Lombardy from 2008 until April this year.
Wednesday’s fourth stage will be a 176.9km ride from Oswiecim to Cieszyn.
Tour of Poland Stage 3
1. Marcel Kittel (GER) Skil-Shimano 3:09:29
2. Romain Feillu (FRA) Vacansoleil @ s.t.
3. Jonas Aean Jorgensen (DEN) Saxo Bank SunGard
4. Giacomo Nizzolo (ITA) Leopard Trek
5. Adam Blythe (GBR) Omega Pharma-Lotto s.t.
General Classification After Stage 3
1. Marcel Kittel (GER) Skil-Shimano 8:55:00
2. Adrian Kurek (POL) Reprezentacja Polski @ .17
3. Gianluca Maggiore (ITA) De Rosa-Ceramica Flaminia @ .22
4. Romain Feillu (FRA) Vacansoleil @ .24
5. Heinrich Haussler (AUS) Garmin-Cervelo @ s.t.