Italian rider Elia Viviani won his second stage in a row Saturday in the inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge while American Levi Leipheimer kept his overall lead with one day remaining. Liquigas-Cannondale rider Viviani took the 171-kilometer stage from Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge in 4:04:31. Colombian Jaime Castaneda of UNE was second in the stage and Viviani’s countryman and teammate Daniel Oss third. All crossed the line in the same time.
The top 10 spots in the overall classification remained unchanged ahead of Sunday’s final stage into Denver, with Americans keeping the top five spots led by RadioShack rider Leipheimer with an overall time of 17:33:14. Christian Vande Velde was second, 11-seconds adrift, with Tejay Van Garderen another six seconds back, Tom Danielson on 21 seconds and George Hincapie 53-seconds back. Tour de France winner Cadel Evans of Australia remained seventh, 78-seconds off the pace.
USA Pro Cycling Challenge Stage 4
1. Elia Viviani (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 4:04:31
2. Jaime Alberto Castaneda (Col) EPM-UNE @ s.t.
3. Daniel Oss (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale
4. Dennis Van Winden (Ned) Rabobank
5. Jeffry Louder (USA) BMC
6. Tejay Van Garderen (USA) HTC-Highroad
7. Andr Steensen (Den) Saxo Bank Sungard
8. Rafael Montiel (Col) Gobernacion De Antioquia
9. Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Skil-Shimano
10. Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin-Cervelo
General Classification After Stage 4
1. Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team RadioShack 10:30:29
2. Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo @ .11
3. Tejay Van Garderen (USA) HTC-Highroad @ .17
4. Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo @ .21
5. George Hincapie (USA) BMC @ .53
6. Rafael Infantino Abreu (Col) EPM-UNE @ 1:14
7. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC @ 1:18
8. Stef Clement (Ned) Rabobank @ 1:42
9. Bruno Pires (Por) Leopard Trek @ 1:49
10. Rory Sutherland (Aus) UnitedHealthcare @ 1:50