The Garmin-Sharp tore around the Miller Motorsports Park more than 30 seconds faster than the second place team over just 21.75km. With the win Christian Vande Velde moves into the leaders jersey.
The team was great today, said Vande Velde. We were motivated as usual and knew that this was a great opportunity to take time out of our rivals and we did just that.”
The course and weather today provided many challenges for the riders, said Director Sportif Charlie Wegelius. Again the heat and altitude were big factors. Constant turns and bends meant that the riders had to constantly change their formation to protect themselves from the wind. The whole team raised their game to put out a well drilled and smooth performance. Naturally everyone is very pleased with the result. The yellow jersey is a just reward for Christian.
General Classification After Stage 2
1. Christian Vande Velde (USA/Garmin-Sharp) 5:48:16
2. Thomas Danielson (USA/Garmin-Sharp) @ s.t.
3. David Zabriskie (USA/Garmin-Sharp)
4. Peter Stetina (USA/Garmin-Sharp) @ 30
5. Wilco Kelderman (Ned/Rabobank) @ .33
6. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned/Rabobank) @ s.t.
7. Christopher Horner (USA/RadioShack-Nissan) @ .38