Aug 06, 2014 – Belgium’s Jonas Van Genechten prevailed in a sprint finish to the Tour of Poland fourth stage, a 236km ride from Tarnow to Katowice, on Wednesday. The Lotto Belisol rider was followed home by Italy’s Jacopo Guarnieri and Luka Mergec of Slovenia.
Jonas Van Genechten said after the stage, “I’m thrilled with this victory, which is definitely the most important of my career. Today the team did a great job and they set me up in the right conditions to start the sprint. In the final I was in a good position and when the sprint was launched I chose the right timing to come off of the wheels of my adversaries just a few meters from the finish line. It was a very fast sprint which was helped by favorable winds. I hit 80kph at the arrival, which was slightly downhill; I practically didn’t get up from the saddle for how fast we were going. For me this is the first time at the Tour de Pologne and I’m impressed by the enthusiasm and how much the race is followed. I had already come to Poland for a Cities Trip some time ago, but I have to say that this day will be forever etched in my memory.”
In the general classification Czech Petr Vakoc (Omega Pharma – Quick-Step) keeps the yellow Skandia leader’s jersey for the second day in a row. Austrian Matthias Krizek, thanks to the seconds garnered with today’s break, is now in second place, 26” back; following 27” behind are Hutarovich, Bos, Mezgec and Van Genechten.
In the other classifications Mateusz Taciak (CCC Polsat) snatched the cyclamen Tauron jersey for the GPM from his fellow countryman and team mate Maciej Paterski. Matthias Krizek captured the blue Lotto jersey that distinguishes the most active rider in the group. Meanwhile, the white-red Lang Team jersey for the points classification remains on the back of Yauheni Hutarovich. In the team classification Omega Pharma Quick-Step is still one step ahead.
The climbs will begin tomorrow with the 5th stage. It starts from Zakopane and features an all-new climbing arrival at Strbske Pleso in Slovakia.
Results from Stage 4 of the Tour of Poland: 236km from Tarnow to Katowice.
1. Jonas Van Genechten (BEL/LTB) 5hr 43min 29sec
2. Jacopo Guarnieri (ITA/AST) s.t.
3. Luka Mezgec (SLO/GIA) s.t.
4. Sacha Modolo (ITA/LAM) s.t.
5. Yauheni Hutarovich (BLR/ALM) s.t.
6. Davide Appollonio (ITA/ALM) s.t.
7. Raymond Kreder (NED/GRS) s.t.
8. Nikias Arndt (GER/GIA) s.t.
9. Nikolas Maes (BEL/OPQ) s.t.
10. Steele Von Hoff (AUS/GRS) s.t.
1. Petr Vakoc (CZE/OPQ) 20hr 34min 24sec
2. Matthias Krizek (AUT/CAN) at 26sec
3. Yauheni Hutarovich (BLR/ALM) 27
4. Theo Bos (NED/BEL) 27
5. Luka Mezgec (SLO/GIA) 27
6. Jonas Van Genechten (BEL/LTB)
7. Roman Maikin (RUS/RVL) 31
8. Boris Vallée (BEL/LTB) 33
9. Manuele Mori (ITA/LAM) 33
10. Maciej Paterski (POL/CCC) 35