AFP / Yuzuru Sunada
Germany’s Marcel Kittel of the Giant-Shimano team won the third stage of the Dubai Tour on Friday as American Taylor Phinney maintained the overall race lead. Kittel won his second consecutive stage, edging out Spain’s Juan Jose Lobato of Movistar and Slovakia’s Peter Sagan in a sprint finish to the 162-kilometer ride from the capital to Hatta. Phinney leads by a margin of 15 seconds from Britain’s Steve Cummings, with only 36 seconds separating the top 10.
The race, being held for the first time this year, concludes with a 123-km ride from the capital to Burj-Khalifa on Friday.
Dubai Tour Stage 3
1. Marcel Kittel (GER/Giant-Shimano) 3h 47:52
2. Juan Jose Lobato (ESP/Movistar) @ s.t.
3. Peter Sagan (SVK/Cannondale)
4. Dylan van Baarle (NED/Garmin-Sharp)
5. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA/Giant-Shimano)
6. Wouter Poels (NED/Omega Pharma-Quickstep)
7. Alejandro Valverde (ESP/Movistar)
8. Ramunas Navardauskas (LTU/Garmin Sharp)
9. Nikolai Trusov (RUS/Tinkoff-Saxo)
10. Jesus Herrada (ESP/Movistar)
General Classification After Stage 3
1. Taylor Phinney (USA/BMC) 6:50:24
2. Steve Cummings (GBR/BMC) @ :15
3. Lasse Hansen (DEN/GRM) @ :17
4. Tony Martin (GER/OPQ) @ :23
5. Fabian Cancellara (SUI/TRE) @ :26
6. Peter Sagan (SVK/CAN) @ :30
7. Adriano Malori (ITA/MOV) @ :33
8. Maciej Bodnar (POL/CAN) @ :36
9. Alexander Porsev (RUS/KAT) @ s.t.
10. Marcel Kittel (GER/GIA)